Thursday, February 4, 2010

Demanding Characters

Ever have a character who will just not go away? This week a character has been literally haunting me. The problem is that she doesn’t really have the sort of story that I like to write.

Our conversation usually goes something like this:

Character-Currently-Without-Name: Sorry to disturb your blog reading, but when do you think you are going to stop procrastinating and get around to writing my story.

Me: Oh hi. You know, I’ve been really busy lately. I’ve got a whole bunch of classes and I had a midterm due this week. Also, I’m sort of working on this other book right now.

CCWN: You are just full of excuses aren’t you? Do you want to know what I think?

Me: Not especially.

CCWN: I think you are avoiding writing my story because you don’t like it.

Me: Of course I like your story. It’s just, well, not really my type of story.

CCWN: What is that supposed to mean?

Me: Your story kind of has all these religious tones to it. Which is great for you, but I’m not really that kind of writer.

CCWN: {glares}

Me: Maybe I could write your story but just sort of leave out all the religious sections?

CCWN: Now you are just being ridiculous. Without those sections you don’t have a story. The religious sections are what make it my story.

Me: {sigh} Can’t you find someone to write this?

CCWN: No. Come on. Laptop on, Word open, keys go clickety, click.


Teenagers can be mean. I have a feeling this character is going to be a pain in my you-know-what. Guess I better get to work.

*Just a note: I do not actually talk to my characters (outloud).

No comments:

Post a Comment